It’s time to test yourself with the ultimate USA trivia questions – see how well you know the United States in this US quiz now!
How good are you at your USA trivia? Do you know your US states from the founding fathers? What about naming all 45 presidents? If you think you know your Franklins from your Fitzgeralds, it’s time to take on my USA trivia questions! Be warned though, some of these are really tricky.
The United States is one of my favorite countries in the world. It is a place that has everything you could ever want from a country. From beautiful landscapes like the Grand Canyon to historic monuments like Mount Rushmore, it has it all and more. Then there’s all the delicious food, the music scene, American sports. I mean, I could go on and on here.
Whenever I get to a new state, I always ask a million questions. I always want to know what the population is, what’s the state famous for and why? I just think it’s such a good way of learning all about America.
That’s why I wanted to come up with this USA general knowledge quiz, so highlight some of the best facts about America.
So, if you love your quizzes as much as I do, see how many of these US trivia questions and answers you can get right.
Also, if you fancy hosting your own virtual quiz, maybe you can use some of these questions.
If you enjoy this quiz, make sure you check out the ultimate travel quiz and my very difficult countries quiz too. These are two of my most popular quizzes, so see how you do on your world knowledge after you’ve finished this one!
If you’re looking for some other fun quizzes to do, then make sure you check out my other site Ultimate Quiz Questions. This site is packed with the world’s best quizzes on every topic, so enjoy!
Contents & Quicklinks
30 USA General Knowledge Questions
1. To start us off with a topical one, which 15th century sailor is said to have “discovered” America?
2. And on that subject, in what year was America discovered?
3. What was the date for the US declaration of independence from the British empire?
4. By land size, what is the smallest US state?
5. Who was the first president to live in the White House?
6. What state is Mount Rushmore located in?
7. By size, what is the largest lake in America?
8. What state is also known as ‘Finlandia’ because it looks a lot like Finland?
9. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from which country?
How many stars are on the American flag?
What year was John F. Kennedy assassinated?
Which US President was born in Hawaii in ?
The Baseball World Series was first contested in which year – , or ?
Known as ‘Motor City’ what is the actual name of this American city?
What is the longest river in the United States?
Which is the only US state to have one syllable in its name?
How many territories does USA have? (1 point for each)
What is the tallest mountain in the US?
What does DC stand for in Washington D.C?
What is the national animal of the USA? (1 point for each)
What was the name of New York before it was officially called New York?
What is the most populated state in America?
What is the most popular national park in America?
Who was the first American to land on the moon?
Who did James Earl Ray assassinate in Memphis in April ?
What was the first school founded in the United States?
When did Disneyland in California first open up to the public – , or ?
Where was the first American World Fair held in ?
How many Super Bowls has Tom Brady won?
Lastly, as a bit of a wild guess, how many pizzas do you think Americans eat per year? (Within the nearest ,…)
USA trivia: Picture round & flags
So, how many of these US trivia questions do you think you got right? Did you find it easy or hard?
Right, it’s time for the answers. Fingers crossed you got more than 50%!
USA quiz: Questions and answers
1. To start us off with a topical one, which 15th century sailor is said to have “discovered” America? Christopher Columbus. He wasn’t the first person to discover America, but he was considered to be the first person to introduce American to western/European culture.
2. And on that subject, in what year was America discovered? It was in
3. What was the date for the US declaration of independence from the British empire? This is one everyone should know! It was the 4th July .
4. By land size, what is the smallest US state? With only 1, square miles, Rhode Island is the smallest US state. This is one of my favorite US states trivia questions by far!
5. Who was the first president to live in the White House? It was John Adams. Everyone thinks it was George Washington as he was the first US president, but it was actually John Adams as the White House wasn’t built yet.
6. What state is Mount Rushmore located in? South Dakota. This is where you’ll find the monument to the Found Fathers of the United States of America.
7. By size, what is the largest lake in America? Lake Superior covers an area of 31, square miles. A lot of people think this answer is Lake Michigan, but that has an area of 22, square miles so it’s actually a lot smaller.
8. What state is also known as ‘Finlandia’ because it looks a lot like Finland? That’s Minnesota. You can see why in my blog post here!
9. The Statue of Liberty was a gift from which country? France gifted the statue to the people of the United States in
How many stars are on the American flag? 50, one for each of the 50 US states
What year was John F. Kennedy assassinated? 22 November by Lee Harvey Oswald.
Which US President was born in Hawaii in ? Barack Obama
The Baseball World Series was first contested in which year – , or ? It was way back in .
Known as ‘Motor City’ what is the actual name of this American city? It’s Detroit! Detroit has been long recognized as the historic heart of the American automotive industry, partly because Henry Ford pioneered the use of the assembly line in manufacturing Ford cars.
What is the longest river in the United States? At 2, miles, the Missouri River is the longest river in the States.
Which is the only US state to have one syllable in its name? Maine
How many territories does USA have? (1 point for each) The US has 5 permanently inhabited territories. These are Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean Sea, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands in the North Pacific Ocean, and American Samoa in the South Pacific Ocean.
What is the tallest mountain in the US? At 6, meters (20, ft), Denali (also known as Mount McKinley) in Alaska is the tallest mountain in the States.
What does D.C stand for in Washington D.C? District of Colombia. Lots of people think Washington D.C is a state but it’s actually a district.
What is the national animal of the USA? (1 point for each). Technically there are 2. The American bald eagle is the national bird, and recently in the bison was added as the national mammal.
What was the name of New York before it was officially called New York? It was actually called New Amsterdam as the settled in Manhattan before the English.
What is the most populated state in America? That’s California with a population of million people.
What is the most popular national park in America? You may think the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone National Park, but sitting at the top in number 1 is the Great Smokey Mountains National Park which draws over 11 million visitors per year.
Who was the first American to land on the moon? That was of course Neil Armstrong on the 24th July,
Who did James Earl Ray assassinate in Memphis in April ? Martin Luther King
What was the first school founded in the United States? Harvard was founded in in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and it’s still one of the best schools in the country today.
When did Disneyland in California first open up to the public – , or ? That was . Imagine how quiet it would’ve been then!
Where was the first American World Fair held in ? It was in New York City. Other cities include Philadelphia (), Chicago (), St. Louis () and San Fransisco (), but the one in New York was first.
How many Super Bowls has Tom Brady won? Brady has won an incredible 6 Super Bowls making him the most successful quarterback of all time.
Lastly, as a bit of a wild guess, how many pizzas do you think Americans eat per year? (Within the nearest ,…) It’s thought that Americans consume over 3 billion pizzas in total each year. If you got anywhere near that one then very well done!
USA quiz: Picture round answers
(Name the landmark = 1 point)
1. Golden Gate Bridge, San Fransisco
2. Space Needle, Seattle
3. Liberty Bell, Philadelphia
4. Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Washington D.C
5. Cloud Gate, Chicago
USA quiz: US state flag answers
(US state flag= 1 point)
8. New Mexico
9. New York
In total there are 50 points up for grabs. How many did you get right? You can let me know in the comments below!
Did you enjoy my USA trivia questions and answers? If so, make sure you share it with your friends and family! Test them and see how they do. I bet you can beat them though!
And don’t forget you can take the ultimate travel quiz and my very difficult countries quiz too. If you enjoyed these US trivia questions, then you’ll love these quizzes too!
Quiz: How well do you know the USA’s 50 states?
Think you know all about the USA? Maybe you can name all 50 states in a few minutes? Well, test your United States knowledge to the max with this fun, at-times tough quiz
We could ask you to name all 50 states, but many of us will have played that game before. Instead, we thought we’d dig a little deeper to see how much you really know about the USA’s different states.
If nothing else, we think it’ll highlight a few interesting facts, and show you that there are plenty of unexpected areas of the United States to look forward to exploring in the future. Good luck…
1. Only one US state begins with the letter ‘D’. Name that state…
2. Each of the 50 states has its own capital. Which state is Helena the capital of?
3. Two regions are split into four states – ‘North’ & ‘South’. Can you name those states?
4. Is Alaska technically one of the USA’s 50 states?
No, but it’s a US territory
5. How many states begin with the letter ‘M’?
6. Is Hawaii technically one of the USA’s 50 states?
No, but it’s a US territory
Nice try! It’s just a Caribbean island
7. How many of the USA’s 50 states are islands?
8. Which of the 50 states is the biggest – by size?
9. Which of the 50 states is the largest – by population?
In which US state would you find the Grand Canyon?
There are only two everglades in the entire world. One resides in the USA. In which state can you find it?
How many states border its North American neighbour, Canada?
Meanwhile, only four US states border Mexico. Do you know which of these states ISN’T on that border?
In which US state would you find the famous presidents-carved-into-the-cliffs attraction Mount Rushmore?
Is Puerto Rico one of the USA’s 50 states?
No, but it is a US territory
No, and it’s NOT a US territory
Each state has its own flag, but one state has gone rogue with a non-rectangular flag. Which state is it?
Every state has a two-letter abbreviation, for ease of writing. Which state is abbreviated as ‘CO’?
Nice try! It’s not an abbreviation
Which of these states does NOT share its name with a country?
Nice try! They're all countries
Boston is one of the best-loved cities in the USA. But do you know which state it’s in?
Salt Lake City is the capital of which US state?
'Meet me in St. Louis' is a classic film. To fulfil the title, which state would you need to visit?
Nice try! St. Louis IS the state
Memphis is famed as the heart and soul of blues and rock’n’roll. But wait: which state is it in?
In which US state would you find the city of Boise?
Is Washington D.C. technically one of the 50 states?
No, it’s a city in Washington state
No, it’s in Columbia, a stateless district
No, it’s part of the state of Virginia
Finally, which state was home to the FIRST official capital of the USA, once the constitution was ratified?
It was always Washington D.C
Welcome to our American States Quizzes
US State Quiz Questions and Answers
- How many American States start with the word 'New'?
- Which state borders both Washington and Oregon?
- Name the only state to border only one other state?
- The Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument can be found in which state?
- Michigan is bounded by how many of the Great Lakes?
- Which is the only U.S. state that lies 'entirely' above one thousand metres elevation?
- Which two states border Florida?
- Which state's largest city is Omaha, on the Missouri River?
- Name the only president to be born and raised in Illinois?
- Kitty Hawk is a town in which American state?
- Can you name the coloured states on the map: (a)red, (b)blue, (c)purple, (d)yellow, and (e)green?
- Cape Cod is a geographic cape at the southeastern corner of which state?
- Which state was named in honour of the wife of King Charles I?
- 'Yankee Doodle' is the state anthem of which state?
- How many states start with the letter 'M'?
- 4 (New Jersey, New Hampshire, New York, and New Mexico)
- Maine (borders New Hampshire to the west)
- Alabama and Georgia
- Ronald Reagan
- North Carolina
- (a)Wyoming, (b)Oklahoma, (c)Minnesota, (d) Illinois, and (e) Tennessee
- Maryland (after Henrietta Maria)
- Eight (Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, and Montana)
States Quiz - American state capitals
Name the state capitals of the following states:
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- Des Moines
- Baton Rouge
- Jefferson City
More States Questions
- Which U.S. state is nicknamed the Beaver State?
- The Battle of Gettysburg was fought in which state in ?
- Mount St. Helens is a volcano located in which state?
- Which state has the third longest coastline?
- Baltimore is the largest city in which state?
- What the second most populous state?
- Wyatt Earp was a lawman in Dodge City; in which state is this cowboy town?
- Name the only state in the U.S. divided into parishes instead of counties?
- Which state is known as The Hoosier State?
- The Hamptons are in which state?
- In which state is John Wayne airport?
- What links California with Poland, Ohio with Belgium, and Oregon with Bosnia?
- Which state bordered by Wyoming to the north gets it's name for the Spanish for 'ruddy'?
- Which state has the smallest population?
- In which state is Mount Rushmore National Memorial?
- Spokane and Tacoma are cities in which state?
- What is the capital and most populated city in Arkansas?
- Where is the 'Land of the Midnight Sun'?
- In which state can you visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and Yellowstone National Park?
- Three states border California, can you name them?
- Which state is known as The Garden State?
- New England is a region which comprises of New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and which other missing state?
- California (Alaska (first), Florida (second))
- Texas (California is first, Florida is third)
- New York
- They have (approximately) the same populations
- Colorado (from the ruddy silt found in the Colorado river)
- South Dakota
- Little Rock
- Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona
- New Jersey
More United States Quizzes
> Quiz America
> American Presidents
Thank you for printing these state quiz questions and answers. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.
U.S. state trivia questions
How much do you know about the various states of America? Find out with our fun U.S. State trivia questions and answers!
There are 50 states that make up the United States of America, each with their own fascinating history. Try our state trivia quiz to see how well you know them!
American state trivia quiz
U.S. State quiz
If you enjoyed our trivia quiz about American states, be sure to check out the rest of Triviarmy for lots more fun free trivia questions, including these:
States quiz questions us
Finally there was the creak of the front door and the lively voices of my wife and guests. When they entered the room, I was very much surprised by their appearance. Both were fit and athletic, but one of them was taller than the other.How Many U.S. State Capitals Do You Know? Test/Trivia/Quiz
It is especially fun to watch them during dances, especially rhythmic ones. It is unlikely that any of them attended the acrobatic rock and roll section in their youth. But they lifted their legs and shook their bodies - be healthy. My thoughts were interrupted by some lanky aunt who grabbed my hand and pulled me into a circle.
- Softball tryouts 2020 michigan
- Million pieces tv show
- Herman miller payment plan
- West texas indian motorcycle
- Info clash of clans
- 14 inch smart tv
- Cool fade haircut designs
- Homeless shelter boynton beach
- Ice blue chocobo
- Etiquettes meaning in urdu
- Prime research quest step
Sergei told how they first invited a young guy to their country house and how his dick did not get up. At all from excitement, after which he fucked him in the ass in front of Inna's eyes, and she tried to raise his dignity with a blowjob, but nothing happened. Laughing, I told about the incident in Serebryany Bor and noticed how Sergei's penis tensed and Olga's hand reached out to the clitoris.
To help her, I moved to her and began to penetrate with my tongue into her cave, which responded with violent moisture, I must say that she had an amazingly sensual.